Course DescriptionThis hands-on live session online art studio is designed for students interested in enhancing their college admission portfolios. This section is dedicated to those students who wish to focus on drawing, painting, photography and sculpture. Through skill-building exercises, experimentation, and research-based projects, students develop a personal vision and learn what is expected in a portfolio. Digital workshops inform students about best practices for documenting and presenting finished projects. Students gain skills in communicating about their work in group discussions and learn to offer feedback to peers through critique. This course requires access to an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription (not included). Prerequisite: art and design experience.
Learner OutcomesUpon successful completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate:
- A conceptual and applied understanding of visual elements such as color, line, shape, texture, and composition.
- Ease with “brainstorming” with materials; making effective visual decisions by first engaging in experimentation with multiple approaches to size, scale, color, line, composition, shape, format, and application of paint.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the iterative and incremental making process, including developing sketches, mock-ups, proposals, and responding to feedback.
- Familiarity with strategically selecting and employing the painting/drawing/collage techniques that are best suited for each work.
- The ability to reflect on a thematic concept in a meaningful way and translate those insights into visual form.
- Effective use of collected research (information and images available on the Internet, in magazines, newspapers, or books) to inform the visual development of a drawing or painting.
- The ability to archive one’s own process (sketches, proposals, written thoughts) as well as final products in the form of the Learning Portfolio.
- Demonstrate an understanding of editing final work for an Admissions Portfolio.
- Ability to evaluate works of art and the creative process through dialogue
- including group discussions, critiques, and written reflections.
- A consistent and professional work ethic and studio practice.
- Show an understanding of the virtual art/design studio environment and practice by participating in a variety of synchronous (real-time interaction) activities including lectures, demos, and discussions; individual and collaborative exercises and projects; and self and peer critiques.