Enrollment Update: Preview fall adult courses and register for remaining summer courses now. Browse all

Registration & Enrollment

The New School does not sponsor student visas for noncredit certificate programs. International students sometimes engage in on-campus courses for certificate programs offered by Continuing and Professional Education while in the United States on other visitor visas.

International Students: Students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents may be asked to complete the forms needed for travel to New York City.  If your desired program requires an I-20, you should complete an application as soon as possible before the date of arrival on campus. Registered international students receive information about applying for an I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) from our office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) in their course confirmation letter.

U.S. citizens visiting France for less than three months are not required to obtain a visa. However, citizens of countries other than the United States and European Union member states are responsible for obtaining appropriate visas to study in France.

Visa Status: Know the Difference

Tax Information for International Students

F-1 students and J-1 exchange visitors should familiarize themselves with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax requirements and filing obligations for tax years in which they are present in the United States. Please review The New School's Tax Information page for more information.

Resources & Benefits

To download our International Students Guide and to find out more about visiting and living in New York City, visit the ISSS site.


International Student and Scholar Services
72 Fifth Avenue, 3rd floor
New York, NY 10011
Phone: 212.229.5592
Fax: 212.229.8992
Skype: ISS_thenewschool

Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions for International Students to see if your questions are answered there. 

Required fields are indicated by .