About This Program
Study art and design with Parsons' world-class faculty while experiencing the creative inspiration of New York City in our academically rigorous and artistically stimulating three-week, three-credit intensive program. Our fully immersive courses are tailored to high-schoolers preparing to apply for college and feature thought-provoking skill-building project-based learning, art and design field trips, guest speakers from industry, and portfolio reviews.
To learn about requirements for campus access at The New School, visit our COVID-19 Community Guide.
What You’ll Gain
- Deeper understanding of fine arts and design in a variety of specialized fields
- Technical and creative skills necessary for success in future art and design programs
- Three college credits
- Portfolio preparation for admission to an art and design college
How You’ll Learn
- Guidance and critiques from Parsons' renowned faculty
- Community building through small class sizes
- Hands-on projects that build skills
Summer 2022 on Parsons' NYC Greenwich Village campus
Full Day On-Campus Sessions (Mondays to Fridays 9:00 a.m. - 3:50 p.m. ET)
Session 1- June 13, 2022 - July 1, 2022
Session 2 - July 11, 2022 - July 29, 2022
Session 1 - June 5, 2022
Session 2 - June 30, 2022
You may register for one course per session from our website. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Early registration is strongly encouraged. Students will be charged a university fee.
$4,250 plus fees
Summer Program Refund Policy
Session 1 (June 13 - July 1) Refund SchedulePlease note: All refund schedules are effective until 11:59pm ET on a specified date.
|Course Drop or Withdrawal Date||Percentage of Tuition Refunded|
|On or before May 1||100|
|May 2 through May 15||50|
|May 16 and later||0|
Session 2 (July 11 - July 29) Refund SchedulePlease note: All refund schedules are effective until 11:59pm ET on a specified date.
|Course Drop or Withdrawal Date||Percentage of Tuition Refunded|
|On or before June 1||100|
|June 2 through June 15||50|
|June 16 and later||0|
The New School reserves the right to cancel courses. If a course in which you are enrolled is canceled, you will be notified and asked whether you wish to transfer to a different course or receive a full refund.
Students enrolled in the pre-college and college/adult-level programs in New York earn grades and three college credits upon successful completion of the program. We strongly recommend that participants consult an academic advisor at their home institution for further details of approval, transfer, and fulfillment of graduation requirements.
Academic Transcript Request
The New School has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide transcript ordering via the Web. During the pandemic, only official PDF copies of New School transcripts will be issued. Official PDF transcripts are free of charge.
After you request your transcript from the National Student Clearinghouse, your transcript will be mailed electronically to you or another recipient, such as a university, that you have designated. If you are sending your transcript to a college or university, make sure the school accepts electronic PDF transcripts as official, and keep in mind the following when ordering:
- The transcript link for the requestor has a 30-day time limit.
- Once the transcript is downloaded, there's no expiration date.
- Unlimited views are allowed.
- Printing is allowed.
- Copying is not allowed.
Our pre-college program is for students ages 16-18*. We require that students are 16 by the start date of the program. Students who will turn 16 during or after the program will not be permitted to participate in the program with no exceptions. We recommend students under the age of 16 explore our non-credit course offerings in our Parsons Summer Academy (Grades 3–12) program, which will run during the first two weeks of August at our Greenwich Village campus.
* Students aged 18 with at least one full year of college enrollment may register for the New York Summer Intensive Studies (College & Adult) or Online Summer Intensive Studies (College & Adult) program.
Attendance and Workload
Students attend classes Monday through Friday for six hours a day, with a one-hour break for lunch. Attendance is mandatory. Students who miss more than two class sessions (each day consists of one morning and one afternoon session) will fail the course, subject to faculty and administrative review. Out-of-class work, which is assigned daily, is a substantial part of the program. Students who do not meet course expectations may be asked to leave the program.
Students must demonstrate English language proficiency, as classes are taught in English. A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 79 or higher on the Internet-based course, an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 6.5 or higher, or a DET (Duolingo English Test) score of 105 or higher is required. Visit TOEFL, IELTS, or DET for more information.
What You'll Need
- Digital Camera (mobile device cameras are suitable)
- Supplies from class list (estimated cost: $200)
- Some courses require access to a modern computer laptop in addition to scheduled computer lab times; please check the course description. Students will have free access to Adobe Creative Cloud for Students.
International students must obtain a proper student visa in order to take a course from this program. Upon registration, students will be prompted to additional steps in order for them to initiate the visa application process. Meanwhile, please review the International Students & Scholars Services page for details.
Housing is no longer available for the 2022 session.
This summer program offers the option of The New School’s summer housing. Following your course registration confirmation, you will receive additional communication with instructions for applying for housing.
The New School’s summer housing features:
- 24-hour security desk
- Swipe card access to building and room
- Residence Hall Director and Resident Advisors that provide support and programs for all students
- A convenient location within walking distance of campus buildings
- Shared bedrooms with shared bath and kitchen for each suite
Cost (in addition to tuition and University fees): $2,178 for 3 weeks (includes $300 Meal Plan and $150 Activities and Coordination Fee)
Summer Intensive Studies 2022 Scholarship
Parsons Academy offers a limited number of tuition-only scholarships for pre-college level courses in June and July 2022. We seek applications from motivated students who for financial reasons would otherwise be unable to attend. Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States. The application deadline is Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 11:59pm ET.
The following documents are required to complete the application:
- Scholarship application form
- Personal essay (300 words maximum) addressing the following points:
- What interests you about art and design?
- How do you anticipate this program will help you develop your interests and meet your future goals?
- Be sure to describe your current awareness and exploration of art and design, your interest in the course you select, and comment on your plans for the immediate and distant future.
- A letter of recommendation (from someone who can speak to your academic endeavors)
- Proof of income (if selected as a finalist)
The selection of the scholarship recipients is based on the information from the scholarship application, your written essay, financial need, and access to similar programs in your school and geographic area.
As a Parsons scholarship recipient, you will be following in the footsteps of our previous recipients who have used this opportunity to open doors in the art and design industry. Many of our past scholarship recipients are now studying in degree programs at Parsons or other competitive colleges of art and design. Many others are established as successful artists and designers in their chosen fields.