About This Program
Discover the writer's life in New York City. This three-week intensive program provides a supportive yet challenging atmosphere in which to develop as a writer, whether you are embarking on a new writing project or developing a work-in-progress. You and your peers share and critique one another's ongoing projects in a daily writing workshop moderated by a member of The New School's distinguished writing faculty. Instructors also provide detailed written feedback on all work submitted. In the evenings, our literary salons bring notable writers into conversation with the students and faculty of the colony.
Note: The Summer Writers Colony directly precedes The New School Publishing Institute. Students may elect to register for both programs.
What You'll Gain
- An understanding of the tools needed to succeed as a writer in New York City
- Knowledge of narrative techniques
- Information on how agents work with publishers
How You'll Learn
- Critiques from a member of the writing faculty
- Small workshops with peers
- Specialized craft sessions on subjects ranging from fiction to poetry
- Publishing panels with prominent writers
- Readings and discussions of student and faculty work
How to Register
First select one of the four workshops listed below. After you've registered for your workshop, choose one literary salon for each week and email your choices to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fiction (Section A): noncredit or general credit (Sharon Mesmer)
- Multi-genre, (Section C): noncredit or general credit (John Reed)
- Nonfiction, (Section B): noncredit or general credit (Jessie Sholl)
- Poetry, (Section D): noncredit or general credit (Kathleen Ossip)
Transcripts issued by the Registrar's Office carry the signature and seal of The New School. A transcript is confirmation of a student's permanent record at the university. Students can request that their transcript(s) be mailed to other colleges and institutions by submitting an official request to the Registrar's Office. This can be done online at my.newschool.edu or by completing the transcript request form, which is available at the Registrar's Office and is downloadable from the Registrar's Office website (PDF). Standard transcript services are free of charge.
Academic records are maintained and transcripts are available for credit students. Please note that permanent academic records are not kept and transcripts are not available for noncredit students.
As a registered student in the Summer Writers Colony, you are eligible to stay in a New School residence hall. Affordable university housing is available within walking distance of The New School. Also, if you'd like more time to explore and enjoy New York City, you can extend your stay for one week past the end of the program. View the Summer Housing website for more information.
All summer housing is shared. Our residence halls feature:
- Suite-style units with kitchenettes and bathrooms with showers in the suites
- 24-hour security
- Air-conditioned rooms
- Internet and cable television access
- On-site laundry facilities
- Reading rooms and lounges
- Easy access to public transportation
- Facilities with chaperones and a curfew for minors (call for more information)
The application for housing will be made available to you after you register for the Summer Writers Colony. Feel free to contact the Creative Writing Program or the Office of Student Housing with questions.
New School Summer Housing
72 Fifth Avenue, 3rd floor
New York, NY 10011
Phone: 212.229.5459 x3610