About This Program
In our popular Parsons Summer Intensive Studies programs, students ages 16 through 18 can study art and design with Parsons' renowned faculty in real time from anywhere in the world.
This program facilitates learning through a hands-on, project-based curriculum. Students choose one interactive course in either Fine Arts and Design Explorations, which builds artistic skills in subjects including painting, photography, and graphic design, or Design Strategies, which provides an insider's view of design and management and fashion merchandising. Students benefit from small class sizes and participate in unique virtual field trips, special guest lectures, and individual portfolio reviews.
What You'll Gain
- Deeper understanding of fine arts and design in a variety of specialized fields
- Technical and creative skills necessary for success in future art and design programs
- College credit
- Portfolio preparation for admission to an art and design college
How You'll Learn
- Individualized instruction in both live and self-paced sessions
- One-on-one critiques and feedback from expert faculty members
- Community building through small class sizes
- Structured time away from the computer in which you investigate material for class assignments such as world events, social issues, and your own experiences and interests
The online program will run in July 2021, with six hours of creative programming each day, four days a week for four weeks. The program features core classes, all for college credit, that focus on exploration of fine arts and design and portfolio development.
You may register for one course per session from our website. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications are accepted in the order in which they are received. Early application is strongly encouraged.
Students enrolled in a pre-college program in New York earn grades and three college credits upon successful completion of the program. We strongly recommend that participants consult an academic advisor at their home institution for further details of approval, transfer, and fulfillment of graduation requirements.
Academic Transcript Request
The New School has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide transcript ordering via the Web. During the pandemic, only official PDF copies of New School transcripts will be issued. Official PDF transcripts are free of charge.
After you request your transcript from the National Student Clearinghouse, your transcript will be mailed electronically to you or another recipient, such as a university, that you have designated. If you are sending your transcript to a college or university, make sure the school accepts electronic PDF transcripts as official, and keep in mind the following when ordering:
- The transcript link for the requestor has a 30-day time limit.
- Once the transcript is downloaded, there's no expiration date.
- Unlimited views are allowed.
- Printing is allowed.
- Copying is not allowed.
Summer Program Refund Policy
Please check back for an updated refund schedule. The New School reserves the right to cancel courses. If a course in which you are enrolled is canceled, you will be notified and asked whether you wish to transfer to a different course or receive a full refund.
Attendance and Workload
Classes convene twice daily. Each day, students participate in live sessions (one to two hours) using video conferencing. Between live gatherings, students participate in self-paced sessions (two to three hours). Students have opportunities to meet one-on-one with their professor each week and receive feedback on their progress. Courses are supplemented by special guest lectures, events with the Parsons Admission team, portfolio reviews, and virtual field trips.
True to Parsons’ innovative learning style, this program incorporates structured time away from the computer in which students investigate material for class assignments such as world events, social issues, and their own experiences and interests.
Students must demonstrate English language proficiency, as classes are taught in English. A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 79 or higher on the Internet-based course, an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 6.5 or higher, or a DET (Duolingo English Test) score of 105 or higher is required. Visit TOEFL, IELTS, or DET for more information.
What You'll Need
- A modern computer and mouse
- Headphones, microphone, and webcam
- A stable high-speed Internet connection
- A digital Camera (mobile device cameras are suitable)
- Supplies on class list (estimated cost: $200)