Course DescriptionThis design studio is an introductory exploration of fashion design and visual communication of original ideas for fashion. An expert in the field of fashion guides you in developing and interpreting your research and concepts to the creation of drawings and presentations at an introductory level. You’ll explore a variety of making skills to interpret original ideas for fashion from 2D to 3D using traditional and non-traditional techniques and materials such as paper draping, material handcraft manipulations, and basic hand or machine sewn mockups. The creative process, trends, and careers are further explored in field trips and visits by industry professionals.
- Understand the creative process that fashion designers use to evolve and interpret original ideas
- Demonstrate an understanding of exploratory making skills to interpret original ideas for fashion from 2D to 3D using traditional and non-traditional rapid prototyping techniques and materials (paper draping, material handcraft manipulations, and basic hand or machine sewn mockups)
- Create garment studies and mock-ups
- Demonstrate an understanding of drawing and imaging mediums and styles to visually communicate different phases of the fashion design process including concept, color story, textile and surface design, garment design, and presentation
- Demonstrate an understanding of an art/design studio practice by participating in a variety of activities including lectures, demos, and discussions; individual and collaborative exercises and projects; and self and peer critiques