Develop your ability to draw and paint from observation, a skill essential to visual expression. Reference the world around you to create portraits, landscapes, and imaginative projects. Investigate line, value, form, color, and composition through structured assignments. Research, field trips, and visits from working artists deepen your understanding of the problem-solving methods used by artists in the past and today.
Course Notes: For the online sections of this course, all field trips and guest speaker presentations occur as virtual events and experiences.
- Demonstrate the ability to create drawings and paintings based on theme, concept, and sequence
- Demonstrate an understanding of different drawing and painting media, approaches, styles, and techniques
- Demonstrate an understanding of visual elements such as line, shape, texture, form, space, color, and value
- Demonstrate an understanding of composition, which includes the principles of design, point of view, and various approaches to size, scale, and formats
- Gain confidence in presenting and discussing work from an intellectual, contextual, and aesthetic point of view
- Demonstrate an understanding of an art/design studio practice by participating in a variety of activities including lectures, demos, and discussions; individual and collaborative exercises and projects; and self and peer critiques