Learn the fundamentals of graphic design in this hands-on live session online design studio. Graphic design is all around you—on subway posters, websites, T-shirts, candy wrappers. It is the medium in which words and images combine to communicate messages effectively. In this online studio, students focus on learning analog and digital creative problem-solving techniques and the basics of graphic form and expressive typography. This course requires access to an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription (not included).
Course Length - Online & On Campus 11 weeks
See Access to Campus guidelines for on-campus sections.
Learner OutcomesBy the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Develop a basic vocabulary of typographic and design terminology to strengthen the ability to self and group-critique the technical and process-oriented aspects of design.
- Introduce the relationship between content and form using 2-D design principles, type anatomy, and typographic layout principles to promote the use of an effective design process.
- Examine how type and image are brought together to clearly convey a chosen message.
- Develop a working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
- Examine influential designers and periods in graphic design history.
- Incorporate design research and written reflection into the beginning and end of every
- assignment to aid in the growth of each student’s own personal design methodology.
- Show an understanding of the virtual art/design studio environment and practice by participating in a variety of synchronous (real-time interaction) activities including lectures, demos, and discussions; individual and collaborative exercises and projects; and self and peer critiques.