Course DescriptionLearn the fundamentals of graphic design in this hands-on live session online design studio. Graphic design is all around you—on subway posters, websites, T-shirts, candy wrappers. It is the medium in which words and images combine to communicate messages effectively. In this online studio, students focus on learning analog and digital creative problem-solving techniques and the basics of graphic form and expressive typography. This course requires access to an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription (not included).
Learner OutcomesBy the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Develop a basic vocabulary of typographic and design terminology to strengthen the ability to self and group-critique the technical and process-oriented aspects of design.
- Introduce the relationship between content and form using 2-D design principles, type anatomy, and typographic layout principles to promote the use of an effective design process.
- Examine how type and image are brought together to clearly convey a chosen message.
- Develop a working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
- Examine influential designers and periods in graphic design history.
- Incorporate design research and written reflection into the beginning and end of every
- assignment to aid in the growth of each student’s own personal design methodology.
- Show an understanding of the virtual art/design studio environment and practice by participating in a variety of synchronous (real-time interaction) activities including lectures, demos, and discussions; individual and collaborative exercises and projects; and self and peer critiques.