Learn the fundamentals of Illustration in this design studio. Illustrators are visual thinkers who create comics, computer and film animation, video games, children’s books, graphics for skateboards, images for magazines and newspapers, and many other kinds of visuals. Students are introduced to the types of projects contemporary illustrators work on and helps them develop their skills and style.
Course Notes: For the 2021 Parsons Summer Academy program (August), students may use free/inexpensive graphic design apps (to be suggested in class). For the Fall 2021 Parsons Academy program, students may use Adobe Creative Cloud (subscription not included) or free/inexpensive graphic design apps (to be suggested in class). For the online sections of this course, all field trips and guest speaker presentations occur as virtual events and experiences.
- Illustrate objects elements with an understanding of tone, style, shading, composition, and perspective
- Gain mastery over some basic visual principles like multi-tone drawing and light washes and combining painting and drawing
- See out projects from beginning to completion, utilizing both visual strategies and time management principles
- Gain a higher degree of self-evaluation, critical thinking, and an understanding of where their work fits into the history of visual art. Students will gain a wider degree of research abilities and a stronger grasp of how to utilize research
- Consider not only in visual dimensions but also how to prepare work for print
- Demonstrate an understanding of an art/design studio practice by participating in a variety of activities including lectures, demos, and discussions; individual and collaborative exercises and projects; and self and peer critiques.