Course DescriptionThis hands-on live session online design studio introduces students to the world of illustration. Illustrators are visual thinkers who create comics, computer and film animation, video games, children’s books, graphics for skateboards, images for magazines and newspapers, and many other kinds of visuals. Students learn about the kinds of projects contemporary illustrators work on and are guided in developing their own illustrative skills and style.
Learner OutcomesBy the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a conceptual and applied understanding of visual elements such as image, composition, and color.
- Demonstrate ease with “brainstorming” with materials; making effective visual decisions by first engaging in experimentation with multiple approaches.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the iterative and incremental making process, including developing sketches and responding to feedback.
- Demonstrate familiarity with strategically selecting and employing the painting/ drawing/collage/photography/video techniques that are best suited for each work.
- Reflect on a thematic concept in a meaningful way and translate those insights into a visual illustration.
- Effectively use collected research (information and images available on the Internet, in magazines, newspapers, or books) to inform the visual development of a drawing, painting, and animation.
- Evaluate works of art and the creative process through dialogue including group discussions, critiques, and written reflections.
- Maintain a consistent and professional work ethic and studio practice.