In this art studio, students learn how to create original cartoons and comics from their imaginations. They develop their ability to draw characters and create narrative sketches to share an interesting or funny thought or tell a short story. Students learn how to change the facial expressions of characters and give motion to their drawings. In creating a written and visual narrative students learn to create storyboards to map out the sequence of their story. Students also learn about the rich history and evolution of cartoons and comics and their influence.Course Notes: For the online sections of this course, all field trips and guest speaker presentations occur as virtual events and experiences.
- Draw lively cartoon characters in action from imagination
- Render drawings in ink marker for effective reproduction
- Compose visual stories and comic strip jokes
- Create cartoon characters from any random shape, squiggle, or group of marks
- Produce legible and entertaining comics
- Demonstrate an understanding of an art/design studio practice by participating in a variety of activities including lectures, demos, and discussions; individual and collaborative exercises and projects; and self and peer critiques.