Explore the possibilities of architectural design of interior space for the private home and apartment. Participate in exercises geared to finding viable and interesting solutions to design problems such as window, ceiling, doorway, floor, and wall treatments. Review drafting techniques that allow you to present projects in a professional manner. Concentrate on space planning, furniture, color, and lighting. Explore materials, methods, and professional practices. Prerequisites: Basic Drafting and Basic Interior Space Planning, or the equivalent.
Course Length - Online 9 weeks, On campus 12 weeks
- Students explore and develop their design awareness and philosophy
- Understand core elements of design: scale, proportion, balance, ambiance
- Students come to an understanding of spatial relationships, creating viable solutions to functional and decorative requirements and understanding the effect and relationship of color, texture and materials
- Learn how to interact with customers; how to sell a concept
- Accept and evaluate criticism
- Adjust project expectations in order to attain satisfactory results.
- Come to an understanding of professional vocabulary
- Students should achieve an advanced level of understanding the universal as well as the specific needs of a design challenge and the methods of attaining exciting, viable solutions through floor plan layouts, color schemes and furnishings.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Interior Design Certificate : Required Courses