This nine week course is designed to provide students with a comprehensive introduction to Revit, the industry-leading Building Information Modeling (BIM) software. Students will learn how to build three dimensional models and create two dimensional drawings in Revit. Students will learn how to navigate through and build models in Revit and BIM. The course will cover creating and modifying basic architectural elements integral to the software. Students will also learn about Revit families and how these are used within models by modifying and creating custom parametric families. The course will focus on the embedded information and property of both the architectural elements and families within BIM. Students will be introduced to how Revit can be a coordination tool with other design disciplines. Beyond learning how to create three-dimensional models, students will also learn how to represent these elements in a two dimensional drawing set. This will be accomplished by learning to create drawings, views and sheets. The course will cover architectural plans, elevations, sections, details, and 3D views. Throughout the course, the students will gain an understanding of how Revit and BIM are used in professional practice. The students will understand how the object based information modeling within Revit differs from the line based approach of hand drawing and AutoCad.
Course Length - Online 9 weeks
- Learn how to navigate the Revit interface and use the basic tools for creating and editing models
- Understand the basics of 3D modeling of architectural elements
- Navigate and modify embedded properties of architectural elements and families
- Learn how to create and manage families, including customizing and importing pre-made families and creating parametric families
- Develop the skills to create two dimensional drawings including architectural plans, elevations, sections, and details using Revit
- Learn how to create and modify view templates for clear drawing communication
- Learn how to notate a drawing set using the tools within Revit
- Understand the basics of BIM and how Revit is used in the interior, architectural, and construction industries
Materials and Supplies:
- Students will be able to download a license of Revit using their New School email from autodesk.com. Historically, free educational licenses have been available here.
- Windows Computer that will run Revit
- Computer Mouse – a computer mouse with a scroll wheel is essential.
PrerequisitesWe recommend having experience with Autocad or hand drafting prior to taking this course
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Interior and Architectural Design Software Certificate : Required Courses
- Interior Design Certificate : Electives