This course is an introduction to the field of hospitality interior design including vocabulary, types of jobs, and professional resources. Start your hospitality interior design education by designing a restaurant and bar project. Explore how ambiance, color psychology, branding, and multi-sensory design creates a cohesive hospitality experience. Learn to develop unique research-based concepts presented through dynamic storytelling presentations. Discover restaurant and bar standards for space planning, materials, furnishings, and lighting. Prerequisites: Drafting skills (Basic Drafting or AutoCAD, or the equivalent) and perspective drawing (Drawing Interiors: Perspective or Sketchup, or the equivalent).
Course Length - Online 5 weeks
- Overview of the hospitality interiors industry including vocabulary, professional organizations, tradeshows, media, and industry trends
- Learn the phases of the hospitality design process including concept, schematic design, and design development
- Design a research-based restaurant and bar concept rooted in sense of place
- Learn best practices and sources for designing restaurant and bar environments including interior architectural design, lighting, and FF&E Develop restaurant and bar floor plans, sketches, 2D and 3D drawings, and FF&E specifications
- Study restaurant and bar space planning standards including circulation, dimensions, ergonomics, ADA, and codes
PrerequisitesStudents enrolling in this course must have skills in drafting (Basic Drafting or AutoCAD, or the equivalent) and perspective drawing (Drawing Interiors: Perspective or Sketchup, or the equivalent).
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Hospitality Interior Design Certificate : Required Courses