This course provides insight into the business of styling, collaboration, and how to keep calm in a fast paced industry. This course will challenge students to work through real life scenarios where they learn to maintain budgets, inventory, and how to honor the needs of clients. As we engage work spaces throughout the city, students will be exposed to styling resources, showrooms, and professional stylists. This is an introduction in learning how to exist in professional spaces and understanding team dynamics. Students will gain skills in learning how to adjust their eyes and hands for the following areas: on and off figure, editorial, e-commerce, and motion styling. Students will leave this course with portfolio building images.
NOTE: This course requires students to bring a modern computer laptop to class to complete course assignments. The New School provides all degree and credit-seeking students (enrolled in the current term) with subscriptions for the full Adobe Creative Cloud suite of applications.
- Curate visually harmonious clothing and accessories to narrate a story or communicate a point of view
- Create mood boards and other visual presentations to establish creative direction
- Work independently and collaboratively to develop and communicate creative concepts
- Understand and meet the needs of a client to inform presentations
- Style mannequins and live models
- Produce a photoshoot
- Demonstrate an understanding of an art/design studio practice by participating in a variety of activities including lectures, demos, and discussions; individual and collaborative exercises and projects; and self and peer critiques
This course is one offering from our Parsons Summer Intensive Studies program. For more information on schedule, registration, and refund policies, see program details.