Course DescriptionIn this course, you focus on designing and producing a professional interior design portfolio. The class begins by discussing the elements of a successful digital or traditional paper format portfolio. Your body of work is reviewed, and any gaps are identified. You undertake exercises, as needed, designed to strengthen your composi- tional and layout skills and then strategically collect, edit, reorganize, and produce material tailored to a working interior design portfolio. Assignments that develop your presentation skills round out your preparations for entering the interior design industry. If you are preparing a portfolio for college admission or graduate school or are a working professional seeking to infuse your portfolio with new creativity, this class is intended for you. This course is recommended for students in the final semester of certificate requirements or with equivalent experience.
- How to divide your portfolio content into categories and create a narrative – then arrange your content accordingly. Take the viewer on a journey: thematic trumps chronology.
- Standard paper sizes review.
- InDesign review.
- Blurb book sizes: introduction
- Monitors and screen sizes: how your work will be viewed digitally.
- How to define your style through the elements of design: fonts, color schemes, logos and layouts: exploration of fonts, color schemes/palettes and layouts.
- Consistency and variation: how to create a document that is both coherent and varied.
- To design a business card and logo.
- How to determine which is best for you and for who’s looking at your work: digital or analog.
- Identify what is required for a quality portfolio.
- Learning basic layout practices, rhythms and formats for portfolios.
- Understand how to organize content material.
- Create logos, identify color schemes and pick fonts appropriate for your work.
- Learn about what professionals look for when reviewing portfolios en masse