About This Certificate
In this certificate program, you develop both a theoretical and a practical understanding of equity, inclusion, and social justice (EISJ) issues in the world of design. Beginning with an exploration of how equity and anti-oppressive practices can be incorporated into design systems and processes, you learn ways to promote inclusivity in your own professional environment and develop a deeper knowledge of the dimensions of social justice in your personal and professional life. You are encouraged to connect your own experiences in art and design contexts to the foundational concepts learned in the course. You also develop the ability to recognize how your own perceptions and actions in such contexts can support or hinder struggles for justice. You leave the course with a set of practical tools for advancing equity, inclusion, and social justice in your design projects and pursuits.
theories of justice inclusivity analysis of design systems strategies for building inclusive cultures leadership strategies
What You’ll Gain
- Practical tools for building and sharing knowledge about equity, inclusion, and social justice activism
- Equity, inclusion, and social justice training and tools to use in design and design education professional contexts
- An understanding of how design is implicated in global inequality and how the emerging field of design justice can address systems and cultures of oppression
- The ability to critically analyze and evaluate social justice and community engagement designs and practices
- An understanding of your own power to promote equity, inclusion, and justice in the art and design fields
What You’ll Earn
After completing the certificate requirements, you will be able to download and print a copy of your certificate and share it with your network. Your personal certificate will be accessible from your Student Portal.
Who Should Enroll
- Students interested in developing expertise in the ways in which equity, inclusion, and social justice influence and are influenced by the design professions
- Individuals or managers working in the fields of design and design education
- Professionals or corporate leaders wishing to identify and address issues of equity, inclusion, and justice in their workplace
- Professionals seeking to develop an inclusive, equitable culture in the workplace
How You’ll Learn
- Engaging video lectures and interviews with industry experts
- Direct interaction with faculty practitioners at the top of their fields
- Online collaboration in small classes, supported by video conferencing
- Project-based learning focused on developing real-world skills and portfolio assets
Why The New School?
The professional landscape as we've known it has changed dramatically, and ongoing learning is more important now than ever before. At The New School, we champion every student's creativity and growth. By combining integrated disciplines with collaborative problem solving, we deliver an immersive, transformative learning experience. With the leadership of Parsons School of Design—a globally top-ranked design school—our faculty imparts the critical expertise students need to advance their careers or pivot to a new one in a constantly evolving world.
Begin by completing one of the required courses or purchasing the certificate as a bundle at a discounted price. This certificate must be completed within two years. Have questions? Call us at 332.239.2292, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach out to us via LiveChat.