About This Certificate
Individuals, communities, governments, and businesses all face complex questions when making plans for the future. In this certificate program, you focus on building the skills necessary for future image making with compelling immersive sensory experiences. You learn to apply theory and methods to develop and employ projections of desirable and undesirable future scenarios and examine ways futures discourse can shape a project’s or company's path forward.
scenario planning strategic foresight speculative design trend indication critical design
What You’ll Gain
- Knowledge of key principles of futures studies and design futures
- Techniques for identifying, researching, and critiquing signals of change as potential trend indicators
- The ability to apply design futures methods and approaches to concrete topics
- Experience using methods and frameworks for forecasting hypothetical conditions
- Lead scenario planning exercises for community and corporate contexts
- The ability to create vivid, thought-provoking representations of hypothetical scenarios through diverse media
- An opportunity to develop futures scenarios that can shape your project or company’s path forward
What You’ll Earn
After completing the certificate requirements, you will be able to download and print a copy of your certificate and share it with your network. Your personal certificate will be accessible from your Student Portal.
Who Should Enroll
- Individuals who want to effect systems-level change in organizations and work toward long-term goals
- Professionals who already work within organizations and those wishing to find or create new opportunities
- Those who are new to futures studies or have a working knowledge of the field and wish to increase their proficiency and build their portfolio of practice
How You’ll Learn
- Engaging video lectures and interviews with industry experts
- Direct interaction with faculty practitioners at the top of their fields
- Online collaboration in small classes, supported by video conferencing
- Project-based learning focused on developing real-world skills and portfolio assets
Why The New School?
The professional landscape as we've known it has changed dramatically, and ongoing learning is more important now than ever before. At The New School, we champion every student's creativity and growth. By combining integrated disciplines with collaborative problem solving, we deliver an immersive, transformative learning experience. With the leadership of Parsons School of Design—a globally top-ranked design school—our faculty imparts the critical expertise students need to advance their careers or pivot to a new one in a constantly evolving world.
Begin by completing one of the required courses or purchasing the certificate as a bundle at a discounted price. The certificate must be completed within two years. Have questions? Call us at 332.239.2292, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach out to us via LiveChat.