About This Certificate
"Good architecture poorly lit is poor architecture." Those are the words of a famous architecture critic, and they apply to almost any type of environment. We need light to see well enough to perform functions and activities and to render the architecture of the environment. This certificate program is focused on creating a foundation for designing successful lighting by helping you understand light and human vision, lighting technologies and performance, lighting design as a discipline, and the impact of light on an environment.
lighting measurement lighting terminology layout lighting design computer-aided lighting
What You’ll Gain
- An understanding of basic concepts of the science of light and vision
- Foundational knowledge of basic lighting technologies (lamps, luminaires)
- The ability to carry out fundamental analyses of lighting systems and create lighting layouts
- The ability to apply basic assessment of installed lighting systems
- A sense for the balance between design and technology in lighting design
What You’ll Earn
After completing the certificate requirements, you will be able to download and print a copy of your certificate and share it with your network. Your personal certificate will be accessible from your Student Portal.
Who Should Enroll
- Architects, interior designers, engineers, contractors, decorators, electrical distributors, and sales agents
How You’ll Learn
- Engaging video lectures and interviews with industry experts
- Direct interaction with faculty practitioners at the top of their fields
- Online collaboration and video conferencing
- Project-based learning focused on developing real-world skills and portfolio assets
Why The New School?
The professional landscape as we've known it has changed dramatically, and ongoing learning is more important now than ever before. At The New School, we champion every student's creativity and growth. By combining integrated disciplines with collaborative problem solving, we deliver an immersive, transformative learning experience. With the leadership of Parsons School of Design—a globally top-ranked design school—our faculty imparts the critical expertise students need to advance their careers or pivot to a new one in a constantly evolving world.
Begin by completing one of the required courses or purchasing the certificate as a bundle at a discounted price. The certificate must be completed within two years. Have questions? Call us at 332.239.2292, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach out to us via LiveChat.