About This Certificate
Learn the technical skills required to make successful images while dissecting the process behind creating photographs. By understanding the camera and history of image making, you’ll gain knowledge of ISO, aperture, and shutter speeds along with workflow, composition, and storytelling. Hone your artistic perspective and leave with a complete photo series for your portfolio.
Material Requirements: Students must have access to Adobe Lightroom Classic, a digital camera capable of shooting in manual mode with RAW files, camera lens(es), memory card (CF, SD), and external HDD/SSD drives.
camera operation shutter speeds ISO aperture composition Adobe Lightroom file management high-resolution printing portfolio development photo history
What You’ll Gain
- An understanding of how images are constructed using ISO, shutter speed, aperture, depth of field, and composition
- The ability to manage, organize, and process your photographs for personal work and client outputs
- Knowledge of photo history through composition studies
- An understanding of the basic camera setting for shooting in manual mode
- Development of your artistic voice and eye for image making
What You’ll Earn
After completing the certificate requirements, you will be able to download and print a copy of your certificate and share it with your network. Your personal certificate will be accessible from your Student Portal.
Who Should Enroll
- Hobbyists or amateur photographers looking to better understand their camera and how to create professional-quality photographs
- Professionals in any field who want to improve their images for social media content or marketing
- Creatives looking to add a new skill to their résumés
How You’ll Learn
- Engaging video lectures and interviews with industry experts
- Direct interaction with faculty practitioners at the top of their fields
- Online collaboration in small classes, supported by video conferencing
- Project-based learning focused on developing real-world skills and portfolio assets
Why The New School?
The professional landscape as we've known it has changed dramatically, and ongoing learning is more important now than ever before. At The New School, we champion every student's creativity and growth. By combining integrated disciplines with collaborative problem solving, we deliver an immersive, transformative learning experience. With the leadership of Parsons School of Design—a globally top-ranked design school—our faculty imparts the critical expertise students need to advance their careers or pivot to a new one in a constantly evolving world.
Begin by completing one of the required courses or purchasing the certificate as a bundle at a discounted price.. This certificate must be completed within two years. Have questions? Call us at 332.239.2292, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach out to us via LiveChat.