About This Certificate
Open up the English language world to your students. The New School has been a leader in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) training for more than 25 years, launching careers of teachers locally and abroad.
Designed for both aspiring and working teachers, courses in this certificate program emphasize communicative, content-based, student-centered learning. This highly regarded program awards a Certificate in Teaching English (CTE) for successful completion of a structured curriculum of five courses, including a minimum of 50 hours of student teaching. The program equips students with skills readily applicable to classroom teaching and tutoring in the United States and abroad.
Total Courses: 5
Price: $4,060 (noncredit)
What You’ll Gain
- The ability to teach both online and on-site ESL classes
- Theories and techniques of communicative, student-centered, culturally sensitive learning
- Knowledge and skills enabling you to teach in adult education programs, nonprofits, private language schools and tutoring centers, businesses, libraries, and community colleges
- Access to The New School’s vibrant TESOL community, ongoing professional development, and job listserv
How You’ll Learn
- Online video conferencing
- A combination of synchronous live face-to-face videos and asynchronous weekly coursework that can be completed anytime
- Hands-on practice teaching (online or on-site)
Who Should Enroll
- Working ESOL teachers and others interested in teaching English as a second language