About This Program
Mannes Prep combines a warm and supportive atmosphere with thorough pre-professional training. We welcome students ages 4-18 (pre-K through high school) at all levels, from absolute beginners through advanced students aspiring to professional careers. Our continuing personal interest in the musical growth of each student is central to the spirit of Mannes.
Under the direction of award-winning faculty dedicated to creating a feeling of community, students at all levels and of all backgrounds flourish through ensembles, individual instruction, and music theory courses, learning to encourage one another to reach their full potential. Programs available include one for the very young (ages 4–6), the junior program (grades 1–4), the pre-senior program (grades 5–8), and the senior program (grades 9–12).
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of the entire New School community, all pre-college instruction will continue in a remote learning format for Spring 2021.
What You'll Gain
- Performance experience in our large ensembles
- One-on-one training with our world class faculty designed to nurture each student’s musicality and technical facility on their instrument
- High-quality Music Theory & Ear Training education
- Access to our exciting electives including chamber music, composition, film scoring, electronic music, conducting, music history, world music, jazz ensemble, and more
- An encouraging community of young musicians who have chosen to spend their Saturdays together, honing their craft and making music
How You'll Learn
- Private lessons with our distinguished faculty
- Theory and ear training classes in Mannes’ state-of-the-art facilities
- Performance opportunities in our orchestras, choruses, and many smaller chamber ensembles
Interested students should complete the Mannes Prep Online Application and pay the nonrefundable application fee of $75. New students are admitted to Mannes Prep after passing a faculty audition and a music theory placement test.
The application deadline for fall 2021 auditions is April 15, 2021. Apply online here.
Audition Dates for Fall 2021
- Saturday, May 22 — Strings, Guitar, Piano, and Program for the Very Young
- Sunday, May 23 — Voice, Winds, Brass, Percussion, and Composition
String, Guitar, Woodwind, Brass, and Piano students with prior experience should prepare two contrasting pieces and a major and minor scale of their choice. Accompanists are neither required nor provided for instrumentalists, although applicants are welcome to bring their own if they wish.
Vocalists should prepare two contrasting songs, one of which should be in English. An accompanist will be provided.
Composers should bring two scores of pieces they have written. Recordings are welcome but not required.
All auditionees take a music theory placement test to determine which theory class is best for them.
The audition is a chance for the faculty and young students who have not previously studied music to get to know one another and determine the right fit, so no prepared performance is required.
Cost-of-attendance information is available on the Mannes Prep Tuition & Fees Sheet.
Financial aid is available, and completed 2019-2020 Mannes Prep Financial Aid Applications should be submitted with supporting documentation by the regular application deadline..
Returning students must renew by May 1 to ensure a place for the following year. Renewal instructions are emailed to families by the Prep office, and the process music must be completed and the nonrefundable tuition deposit paid by May 1. Course schedules are emailed to continuing students shortly before the start of classes.
For more information about the admission or renewal process, please email us at email@example.com.