Course DescriptionThrough lectures, demonstrations, and studio work, students learn to build an original, effective graphic design portfolio to present to potential employers and undergraduate and graduate admission counselors. They refine existing projects and undertake new projects to fill gaps in their portfolios. They conduct research and develop and refine their presentation skills using both digital and traditional paper portfolio formats. This class is also ideal for professionals who are seeking to reawaken their creativity through personal projects and new processes that result in a fresh portfolio with a creative edge. This course is recommended for students in the final semester of certificate requirements or with equivalent experience. Laptop with Creative Suite Adobe InDesign required. Discounts on Adobe products are available through my.newschool.edu.
- How to critically evaluate and refine your body of work.
- How to develop a digital portfolio of work and a website; to represent the highest level of your graphic design work and experience as a graphic designer.
- About various portfolio services and social media as related to creating a design portfolio.
- Create a promotional “drop piece”: postcard, keychain, something memorable and creative.
- How to identify a company or designers who you’d like to emulate
- Create a cohesive promotional package (portfolio) that represents your individual, visual voice, aesthetic and approach to design.
- Have an understanding of basic formats for presentation, overall plans and layouts.
- Create a layout for entire portfolio/rough
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Graphic and Digital Design Certificate : Elective Courses