Course DescriptionData is useless without meaning. To find purpose in data requires bringing it to life through storytelling, visual representation, and analysis. In the age of big data, the rise of data availability, collection, and adoption has been paralleled by an increasing need to communicate information effectively. This need has made the contemporary field of data visualization especially popular. But what exactly is data visualization today? What are the tools, programs, and best practices of this discipline that can be applied in our daily lives? This course covers all the bases in the discipline of data visualization and prepares students to complete advanced-level courses in the Infographics and Data Visualization Certificate program. It serves as a foundation for information design, data analytics, and interactive visualization practices. Through diverse hands-on projects and biweekly guest lectures from industry experts from the world of data visualization, students gain a thorough understanding of this exciting field. Counts as a required course toward the certificate in Infographics and Data Visualization.
- An understanding of the principles of the modern field of Data Visualization, its history, and relevance in 2021
- The ability to recognize and analyze various forms of visualizations with a concrete understanding of best practices and uses when portraying complex information sets visually
- A clear understanding of the most common and significant tools currently being used to visualize information by companies, organizations, and individuals
- The ability to create basic data visualizations using principles of the creative process, from ideation to a final deliverable/portfolio piece
- Knowledge of best practices for data storytelling and information design
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Infographics and Data Visualization Certificate : Required Courses