Course DescriptionAn introduction to theory, technique, and creative lighting concepts basic to all interiors. Study materials, color, luminaires and luminaire selection, layout, and approaches to various building types. Prerequisite: Basic Drafting or equivalent experience.
- The role of an interior lighting designer.
- The four design elements of light.
- Richard Kelly’s three forms of lightplay.
- Approaches to the lighting design process.
- Psychological responses to light.
- Different kinds of lighting: LED, OLED, SSL, distribution categories and lighting composition.
- How to spec lighting for interior spaces: retail, residential, commercial.
- Color temperature and rendering.
- Luminaire components, types, cut sheets and lighting sales.
- Lighting plans, sections, details, and fixture schedules.
- Illuminance calculations.
- An understanding of basic lighting design principles
- A basic knowledge of common lighting equipment
- A familiarity with technical lighting terminology
- The vocabulary, in both visual and verbal terms, to express concepts, and the ability to apply them to interior project