Course DescriptionThis course introduces you to working in the fashion industry, whether your focus is fashion design, illustration, textile design, buying or merchandising. Through lectures, research, presentations by visiting professionals, and field trips, you are familiarized with current models of practice and study the various roles involved in shaping a contemporary fashion business.nWhether you intend to freelance or intern, establish a small design studio, or work for a fashion company, this course helps you understand what to expect. You review common professional practices, including professional conduct, interviewing techniques, and writing a résumé, CV, and business proposal. Prerequisites: none.
- Gain a basic understanding of the various key components to the fashion industry in New York.
- Gain direct exposure to industry professionals representing various categories.
- Understand and identify key industry terminology
- Create a fashion-focused résumé and cover letter that is a reflection of student’s specific personality and interests.
- Gain first-hand experience by attending an industry trade show or volunteering at an NYFW runway show.
- Walk away with a basic knowledge and understanding of the various key components to the fashion industry in New York.
- Have a better understanding of what various career paths entail, having met directly with industry professionals.
- Comfortably identify and apply key industry terminology
- Cater résumé/cover letter to a specific opportunity of interest.
- Achieve an overall level of comfort in approaching a fashion industry pursuit.