Flat sketching is an essential part of garment production. It communicates details in the design and construction of a garment, from concept to marketing. This course introduces the professional techniques used to create fashion flats, ranging from traditional hand sketching to the use of Adobe Illustrator to produce sketches digitally in a vector format. Prerequisite: Familiarity with the Mac operating system. Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop is recommended. Prerequisites: none.
Course Length - Online 9 weeks
- Developing a flats figure that corresponds to personal aesthetic and target customer
- Creating flat sketches from sample garments; creating variations by adjusting proportion and garment construction details
- Creating a digital sketch using a scanned pencil sketch to be used as a template when exported to Illustrator
- Creating a library of flats, stitches/brushes and clip art for future use.
- Creating a mini-collection utilizing digital means for both design and presentation
- Determine the proportions of flats figures for a variety of uses, markets and clients
- Flat sketch garments, providing accurate proportion and construction details
- Create a digital flat sketch using a scanned pencil sketch as a template
- Create a library of flat sketches, stitches/brushes and clip art for future use
- Create a digital presentation for a mini-collection utilizing newly acquired digital design, drawing and merchandising skills