In this course, we explore the potential of InDesign as a design tool. InDesign is the industry-standard program for professional page layout. The focus of the class is on using the features of InDesign to develop design skills. There is an emphasis on typography. Discussions include design critiques, in which students learn how to analyze design and how to give and receive constructive criticism. Prerequisite: Familiarity with the Mac operating system, and some exposure to Illustrator or Adobe products is desirable. CS Adobe InDesign will be used in the course. Online students must have InDesign CS or higher (Mac or Windows platform). Discounts on Adobe products are available to online students through my.newschool.edu.
Course Length - Online 9 weeks
- How to create documents and text framing.
- How to work with type: kerning and leading.
- How to create type on a path.
- How to use the Pen and other tools.
- Placing and working with layers.
- How to work with spreads and master pages.
- How to collate a document.
- How to work with Styles.
- A deep dive into color: preflight, packaging and printing.
- Understand the use of InDesign for designing single page, brochure and book-length documents.
- Have a good working knowledge of the entire application from document setup to prepress and packaging.
- Attain an awareness of industry standards in print design.
- Attain skills to complete an accompanying series of projects, which utilize the skills of page layout design with InDesign.
- Create or increase students’ design skills. Students will receive feedback on weekly assignments to hone skills and improve design skills.
- Encourage a forum in which students can learn from each other and take advantage of their diverse experience levels.
- Learn how to be specific and helpful in critique of others’ work.
- Become comfortable with the language of design.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Fashion Design Certificate : Elective Courses
- Graphic and Digital Design Certificate : Elective Courses
- Interior and Architectural Design Software Certificate : Required Courses
- Interior Design Certificate : Electives