About This Certificate
This certificate program gives you the industry knowledge and resources you need to enter the field of hospitality interior design. You develop a professional-level portfolio that includes plans for a restaurant, a bar, a hotel public space, and a guest room.
You also learn how to develop research-based hospitality concepts and dynamic storytelling presentations. You discover the importance of connecting people with place and find out how an understanding of psychology and emotional impact are used to create memorable hospitality guest experiences. With each project, you expand your design skills in space planning, sketching, 2D and 3D drawings, and furniture, fixtures, and equipment. You explore topics including health and wellness, sustainable design, remote work, and how these movements and phenomena affect the hospitality industry. You benefit from virtual field trips and exclusive interviews with industry experts.
space planning 2D and 3D drawing portfolio development FF&E specifications ADA Safty Standards bar floor planning restaurant floor planning hotel planninghospitality interior terminology
What You’ll Gain
- An overview of the hospitality interior design industry, current trends, and key vocabulary
- The ability to create research-based concepts connecting people with place
- The ability to design visual storytelling presentations showcasing multisensory hospitality experiences
- The skills needed to design hospitality interior environments incorporating interior architectural design, lighting, furniture, materials, artwork, and accessories
- Proficiency in developing floor plans, sketches, and 2D and 3D drawings
- An understanding of how guest psychology and color theory affect the hospitality design process
- The ability to assess compliance with code and ADA safety and accessibility standards
- Software skills include: Adobe InDesign, AutoCAD, Revit
What You’ll Earn
After completing the certificate requirements, you will be able to download and print a copy of your certificate and share it with your network. Your personal certificate will be accessible from your Student Portal.
Who Should Enroll
- Students of interior design, architecture, and hospitality
- Professional interior designers and architects
- Anyone exploring an education or career in the hospitality interiors industry
- Hospitality owners, developers, and management
- Hospitality furnishings sales reps
- Graduates of the CPE Interior Design Certificate
This program cannot be used toward the educational requirements for the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) exam. One must complete a degree program in Interior Design comprised of for-credit courses to qualify to take the NCIDQ exam.
How You’ll Learn
- Engaging video lectures and interviews with industry experts
- Direct interaction with faculty practitioners at the top of their fields
- Online collaboration in small classes, supported by video conferencing
- Project-based learning focused on developing real-world skills and portfolio assets
Why The New School?
The professional landscape as we've known it has changed dramatically, and ongoing learning is more important now than ever before. At The New School, we champion every student's creativity and growth. By combining integrated disciplines with collaborative problem solving, we deliver an immersive, transformative learning experience. With the leadership of Parsons School of Design—a globally top-ranked design school—our faculty imparts the critical expertise students need to advance their careers or pivot to a new one in a constantly evolving world.
Begin by completing one of the required courses or purchasing the certificate as a bundle at a discounted price. The certificate must be completed within two years. Have questions? Call us at 332.239.2292, email email@example.com, or reach out to us via LiveChat.