About This Certificate
Prepare for a career in design by learning English. The ESL + Design Certificate program is designed for international students who wish to attend art and design school in the United States. Students improve their English language skills while adjusting to life at a university in the United States. They participate in a structured set of intensive English language (ESL) courses, a design studio, and short supplemental workshops and receive an orientation to life in the United States.
Students who wish to enter Parsons can use successful completion of the program to satisfy their English requirement for purposes of admission (in that case, no TOEFL, IELTS, or DET score is necessary).
ESL + Design is one of four flexible pre-enrollment programs for international and multilingual students who need to improve their English language skills in order to be admitted to an academic degree program in the United States.
Total Courses: 4
Price: Tuition for English language courses is charged per course and varies by semester.
What You’ll Gain
- Skills in English language speaking, reading, and writing and in art and design
- Knowledge of the vocabulary of fashion and design
- Familiarity with academic expectations and culture in U.S. university settings
How You’ll Learn
- A mixture of synchronous and asynchronous online classes each week
- Carefully designed assignments with exciting materials to watch, read, and write about
- Individualized feedback on your speaking, listening, reading, writing, and grammar
- One-on-one or small-group video conferences
- Communication with your teachers throughout the course when you need help or have a question
Who Should Enroll
- International students who plan to attend an art or design college in the United States
- Those who wish to refresh their English language skills and adjust to life at a university in the United States before beginning art and design studies
- Students who have applied or intend to apply to Parsons but who have not met the required score on standardized tests of English (such as the TOEFL, IELTS, or DET)