About This Certificate
This certificate program develops your understanding of spatial and structural design through two- and three-dimensional drawing and sketching, hand drafting, and computer modeling. You build foundational skills in interior design concepts ranging from spatial relationships and circulation to client psychology.
2D and 3D drawing hand drafting computer modeling perspective drawing space planning client psychology drafting techniques floor plan elevations ceiling plan rendering commerical interiors design residential design lighting
What You’ll Gain
- An understanding of the effects of color, texture, and materials in interiors
- Proficiency in hand-drafting formal drawings including floor plans, elevations, and reflected ceiling plans
- In-depth knowledge of the core design elements of scale, proportion, balance, and ambience
- An understanding of trade information and project sequencing
- Software skills include: Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchUp
What You’ll Earn
After completing the certificate requirements, you will be able to download and print a copy of your certificate and share it with your network. Your personal certificate will be accessible from your Student Portal.
Who Should Enroll
- Creative professionals developing skills that can be applied to space planning or decorative arts
- Architects who want to expand their portfolios to include interior space planning
This program cannot be used toward the educational requirements for the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) exam. One must complete a degree program in Interior Design comprised of for-credit courses to qualify to take the NCIDQ exam.
How You’ll Learn
- Engaging video lectures and interviews with industry experts
- Direct interaction with faculty practitioners at the top of their fields
- Online collaboration in small classes, supported by video conferencing
- Project-based learning focused on developing real-world skills and portfolio assets
- The ability to review course content and complete assignments at any time
Why The New School?
The professional landscape as we've known it has changed dramatically, and ongoing learning is more important now than ever before. At The New School, we champion every student's creativity and growth. By combining integrated disciplines with collaborative problem solving, we deliver an immersive, transformative learning experience. With the leadership of Parsons School of Design—a globally top-ranked design school—our faculty imparts the critical expertise students need to advance their careers or pivot to a new one in a constantly evolving world.
Begin by completing one of the required courses. This certificate must be completed within two years. Have questions? Call us at 332.239.2292, email email@example.com, or reach out to us via LiveChat.
(recommended elective)PCDD 0202 Rhino 1
(recommended elective)PCDD 0203 SketchUp
(recommended elective)PCDD 0201 AutoCAD 1
Fundamentals of Revit / BIM
Digital Imaging with Photoshop
Digital Graphics with Illustrator
Digital Layout: Adobe InDesign
Introduction to Graphic Design
3D Modeling Fundamentals
Medium of Fashion: Textiles
Half elective (to be taken in conjunction with another approved half elective)PCID 0501 Interior Design Portfolio