About This Certificate
Only Parsons, a top-ranked design school, can give you a 360-degree immersion in fashion design, trends, and techniques. This program supports your design vision while cultivating foundational technical skills, from concept development and sketching to sewing, construction, draping, patternmaking, and textile selection.
sewing garment construction draping patternmaking textile selection garment design flat patterning portfolio development design sketching dart manipulation fabric layout Adobe Illustrator Adobe Photoshop
What You’ll Gain
- The ability to create fashion sketches from model images and live models and create fashion flats and fashion illustrations
- The skill to conduct creative research and apply it to concept development
- Familiarity with all the tools and materials needed to drape muslin patterns, make flat patterns, and construct garments
- Expertise in identifying various fabric types, yardage specifications, notions, trimmings, and sewing supplies
- Knowledge about the role of sustainability in the textile industry
- Exposure to a variety of methods and practices used in sewing, construction, and garment design
What You’ll Earn
After completing the certificate requirements, you will be able to download and print a copy of your certificate and share it with your network. Your personal certificate will be accessible from your Student Portal.
Who Should Enroll
- Anyone interested in the design side of the fashion industry
- Creative individuals who want to use fabric and fashion design to develop and realize their vision
- Fashion professionals seeking to advance their practice
- Entrepreneurs learning about garment construction before launching their own companies
How You’ll Learn
- Engaging video lectures and interviews with industry experts
- Direct interaction with faculty practitioners at the top of their fields
- Online collaboration in small classes, supported by video conferencing
- Project-based learning focused on developing real-world skills and portfolio assets
Why The New School?
The professional landscape as we've known it has changed dramatically, and ongoing learning is more important now than ever before. At The New School, we champion every student's creativity and growth. By combining integrated disciplines with collaborative problem solving, we deliver an immersive, transformative learning experience. With the leadership of Parsons School of Design—a globally top-ranked design school—our faculty imparts the critical expertise students need to advance their careers or pivot to a new one in a constantly evolving world.
Begin by completing one of the required courses. This certificate must be completed within two years. Have questions? Call us at 332.239.2292, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach out to us via LiveChat.
Medium of Fashion: Textiles
Fashion Marketing Global Environment
Influencer Marketing and Celebrity Relations
Digital Imaging with Photoshop
Digital Graphics with Illustrator
Digital Layout: Adobe InDesign
Introduction to Graphic Design
Fashion Industry Profile: NYC