About This Program
Break into the world of New York publishing with this week-long intensive course of study. Led by publishing veteran John Oakes (OR Books) and featuring visits from top CEOs, publishers, agents, and publicists in New York City, The New School Publishing Institute offers graduate students and professionals accelerated and immersive study of one of the most popular creative industries in the city. Whether you are seeking new employment opportunities, wish to learn more about the industry of which you are a part, or are hoping to launch your own venture, the Publishing Institute will bring you up to speed with this rapidly changing field and orient you toward new possibilities
What You'll Gain
- New media marketing strategies tailored to publishers
- Guidance on how publishers can disrupt current distribution systems
- An introduction to contracts and royalties
- Information on how agents work with publishers
How You'll Learn
- Presentations by editors and publishers at the Big Five publishing houses as well as independent publishers
- Fast-paced comprehensive immersion in the business of publishing
You can enroll online by selecting one of two credit options: graduate credit or noncredit. Although this is a graduate-level course, advanced undergraduate students are also welcome to register. A credit card is required for online registration. You can also register in person at the Registrar's Office, where you can pay by credit card, check, or money order.
The New School Summer Housing program offers a safe and convenient home base in Manhattan for anyone taking classes, working, or completing an internship in New York City from the end of May to early August. View the Summer Housing website for more information.
Rooms are available in four suite-style residence halls located in the Union Square area and the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. Our residence halls offer easy access to all that New York City has to offer: museums, concerts, cultural events and festivals, green markets, stores, and restaurants.
Our Summer Housing residences are near public transportation and convenient to shopping and restaurants.
Our suite-style residences offer:
- Air-conditioning in every room
- Fully furnished bedrooms
- Kitchenettes with full-size refrigerators
- High-speed Internet via 10/100 Ethernet jacks
- In-room cable TV jacks
- 24-hour security
- Individual mailboxes and laundry facilities
- Large-screen TV lounges
- Art studios and other common spaces
All questions about housing not answered on the website should be directed to the Office of University Housing. When contacting the office, please identify yourself as a New School Publishing Institute student.
Publishing Institute students may also be interested in the Summer Writers Colony, a three-week intensive writing program that ends the week before the Publishing Institute.