About This Program
Make the most of Parsons' world-class education, as well as the cultural resources of New York City. Whether you're investigating career options or earning transfer credits, you'll find this three-week, three-credit intensive program both academically rigorous and artistically stimulating.
What You’ll Gain
- Deeper understanding of the foundations of art and design
- Knowledge of innovative techniques in specialized fields
How You’ll Learn
- Guidance and critiques from Parsons' renowned faculty
- Small class sizes and a community of learners
- Hands-on projects that build skills
- Art and design field trips and insights from industry professionals
- Special events including portfolio review events
About This Program
For Parsons' inaugural pre-college program in China, the world-renowned art and design school will offer eleven-week courses taught in English for high school students based in Shanghai. The course options include Fashion Design and Graphic Design.
Parsons faculty will lead live online instruction on weekend mornings, which will be supplemented with in-person group tutoring sessions led by art and design tutors in Shanghai on weekday afternoons.
Parsons faculty will provide real-time creative and technical design instruction, project guidance, and group and individual critiques. The art and design tutors will facilitate making sessions in a studio classroom, supporting students’ progress through the course content. In this hybrid format, students will realize their own design ideas, gain introductory skills, and create portfolio-building work.
This program facilitates learning through a hands-on, project-based curriculum. Students benefit from a direct connection to Parsons faculty, access to a studio classroom, and group making sessions with like-minded peers.
Format: Hybrid Online Synchronous/Classroom
What You’ll Gain
- An introduction to Parsons’ design methodology, including research, concept development, sketching and prototyping, iterative project development, and written reflection
- Understanding of the creative process that artists and designers use to evolve and interpret original ideas
- Instruction in effectively documenting work in analog and digital formats
- Basic skills and technical knowledge and expanded artistic abilities
- An understanding of an art/design studio practice by participating in a variety of activities including lectures, demos, and discussions; individual and collaborative exercises and projects; and self and peer critiques
- Guidance and feedback from Parsons' renowned faculty
- Experience in describing one’s work through verbal and written formats using art and design vocabulary
- Expert advice on developing portfolio content and applying to top art and design colleges abroad
- Opportunities to collaborate with fellow students
How You’ll Learn
- Instruction in live online sessions taught by Parsons faculty
- One-on-one and group critiques and feedback from expert faculty members
- Small group in-person tutoring sessions at a studio classroom in Shanghai led by art and design tutors
- Community building through small class sizes
Summer 2022 (dates TBD); Parsons' Greenwich Village campus
You may register for one course per session from our website. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications are accepted in the order in which they are received. Early application is strongly encouraged. Students will be charged a university fee.
Attendance and Workload
Students attend classes Monday through Friday for six hours a day. Classes run from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., with a one-hour lunch break. Attendance is mandatory. Students who miss more than two class sessions (each day consists of one morning and one afternoon session) will fail the course, subject to faculty and administrative review. Out-of-class work, which is assigned daily, is a substantial part of the program. Students who do not meet course expectations may be asked to leave the program.
Summer Program Refund Policy
Please check back for an updated refund schedule. The New School reserves the right to cancel courses. If a course in which you are registered is canceled, you will be notified and asked whether you wish to transfer to a different course or receive a full refund.
Students enrolled in the pre-college and college/adult-level programs in New York earn grades and three college credits upon successful completion of the program. We strongly recommend that participants consult an academic advisor at their home institution for further details of approval, transfer, and fulfillment of graduation requirements.
Some summer programs offer the option of on-campus housing. Following your confirmation of registration, another letter will be sent by email with instructions for applying for housing if it is available for your program. To find out whether your program offers housing, visit newschool.edu/student-housing/summer.
Academic Transcript Request
The New School has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide transcript ordering via the Web. During the pandemic, only official PDF copies of New School transcripts will be issued. Official PDF transcripts are free of charge.
After you request your transcript from the National Student Clearinghouse, your transcript will be mailed electronically to you or another recipient, such as a university, that you have designated. If you are sending your transcript to a college or university, make sure the school accepts electronic PDF transcripts as official, and keep in mind the following when ordering:
- The transcript link for the requestor has a 30-day time limit.
- Once the transcript is downloaded, there's no expiration date.
- Unlimited views are allowed.
- Printing is allowed.
- Copying is not allowed.