Course DescriptionExpand your drawing proficiency and learn new painting techniques as you develop a thematic sequence of images in this hands-on live session online fine arts studio. Strengthen your technical and visual problem-solving skills through structured projects in which you investigate form, color, and composition. Research, virtual field trips, and online visits from working artists deepen your understanding of the ways artists solve problems. Prerequisite: Fine Arts 1 or an equivalent drawing class.
Learner OutcomesBy the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Acquire an understanding of the visual elements such as line, shape, texture, value, and color that also includes developing one’s ability to see and learn various ways of seeing form and describing space.
- Make effective visual decisions through an understanding of composition, which includes the principles of design, point of view, and various approaches to size, scale, and formats.
- Demonstrate the thoughtful development of individual ideas and thematic concepts and translate those insights into visual form. This includes an awareness of the investigative process of research, sketches, proposals, and response to feedback.
- Acquire the ability to evaluate works of art and the creative process through dialogue including group discussions, critiques, and written reflections.
- Develop a consistent and professional work ethic and studio practice which includes an emphasis on technical proficiency and understanding the importance of craftsmanship.
- Show an understanding of the virtual art/design studio environment and practice by participating in a variety of synchronous (real-time interaction) activities including lectures, demos, and discussions; individual and collaborative exercises and projects; and self and peer critiques.