Course DescriptionThis hands-on live session online studio is an introductory exploration of digital photography to document the unique spaces, objects, and people that inspire your creativity. Students are introduced to digital apps to build portfolio and presentation skills. Students use still photography to capture the world around them to inspire themes as they create visual narratives. Students view current exhibits through virtual field trips and are visited online by professionals working in the field. This course requires a DSLR camera and access to an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription (not included).
Learner OutcomesBy the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Gain proficiency in using digital cameras, addressing technical questions from initial capture to final web or print output.
- Become familiar with working in different environments, drawing on numerous field exploration assignments and class discussions.
- Built a strong portfolio of related images for presentation.
- Develop a concise artist statement based on work created during the course.
- Gain confidence in presenting and discussing work through rigorous weekly critiques and writing assignments.
- Understand introductory photographic history and contemporary digital practice through assigned readings, gallery/museum visits, and visiting artist talks.
- Create a web presence for digital work and creative inspiration experiences through frequent blog posts.
- Show an understanding of the virtual art/design studio environment and practice by participating in a variety of synchronous (real-time interaction) activities including lectures, demos, and discussions; individual and collaborative exercises and projects; and self and peer critiques.