Course DescriptionThis course will introduce students to the unique design opportunities within healthcare and some of the methods used for applying design thinking to these challenges. Taking a project-based approach, students will learn to identify opportunities to create impact in their chosen context, understand the human experience of care, and develop strategies to shape a more human-centered experience for patients, staff, clinicians and/or caregivers. nThis course is aimed to those with differing levels of design and/or healthcare experience, and would be appropriate for designers, administrators, clinicians, entrepreneurs - anyone interested in the unique intersection of design and healthcare.
- How to identify opportunities to shape - or re-shape- the experience of healthcare
- How to translate observations into design opportunities
- How to develop and use tools to facilitate empathy building for your organization or practice.
- How to use storytelling to convey changemaking strategies.
- Learn to distill big-picture healthcare challenges into tangible, solvable design problems.
- Apply the course teachings immediately to a design solution for your healthcare environment.
- Learn to conduct analogous research to move towards transformative interventions.
- Be able to articulate the difference between solution and strategy for your team and leadership.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Human-Centered Healthcare Certificate : Required Courses