Course DescriptionDeveloped by Parsons’ Healthy Materials Lab, this series of four, self-paced online courses bring a consideration of human health to all aspects of design and building practices. The goal is to introduce students and practitioners to basic construction materials, their chemical makeup and the relationship to human health. We will then focus on how current and aspiring designers and architects can specify better building materials in their approach to future projects.
- Understand why material health is important and its relationship to the human body.
- Understand the impact of the life-cycle of materials
- Knowledge and ability to evaluate materials for specific health issues
- Understand pathways for exposure, during the use phase in interiors
- Analyze the various tools, certifications, standards etc.
- Develop a methodology for material analysis
- Develop a system that could be adopted by other professionals to evaluate and specify materials.
- 18 AIA CEU HSW Credits
- 23.5 IDCEC CEU HSW Credits
- Gain scientific understanding and knowledge of material health from a design perspective
- Enhance your personal design language with technical information
- Learn relevant information directly from designers: the course was created by designers, for designers, with a design perspective
- Diversity of expertise of featured advisors provides a holistic approach to the topic
- Fast, efficient and productive approach of learning
- Enhances your personal decision-making capability by providing accessible information about the chemical fundamentals of material health
- Scientific foundation provides a framework for healthier design
- Insight to the steps needed to realize healthier design and build on what was learned in courses 1 and 2
- Expertise to transform projects at the scale that works best for your organization on any given project
- Develop strategies to expand impact in future projects
- Avail of lessons learned by experienced professionals in the fields of Architecture and Design
- Gain team building expertise across all projects
- Situate yourself as part of a movement for change in the realization of healthier built environments