Course DescriptionIn this course, each student develops a children’s book from an initial concept to a “dummy” ready for submission to a publisher. The class explores the entire production process, including searching for ideas, writing a first draft, making sketches and character studies, editing, creating finished artwork and dummies, and writing cover letters and submitting a finished work to publishers.
- Techniques for focusing your ideas and building stories
- Best practices for approaching editors and publishing children’s books
- Essential elements of children’s book writing
- You will create a portfolio that can be shown to art directors
- You will hone your individual style through weekly critique
- You will be a part of a creative community of writers and artists