About This Certificate
Tell true stories about yourself and others, merging the power of words and pictures. Juxtapose text and images for optimum impact, and efficiency, opening up opportunities in creative non-fiction beyond what writing, illustration, or photography can offer. Delve into theory, analysis and production of comics journalism, documentary sketching, and illustrated memoir. Learn from experts in the field as you sharpen your skills, deepen your knowledge, and gain a sense of the medium's scope and potential. This certificate program welcomes diversity of technique and expression. You use your own preferred image-making media and tools (digital or analog) and tell the stories you choose with individual style, expression, and authorial voice.
Total Courses: 4
Time Commitment: Students typically complete this certificate in two years.
Tuition rates are subject to change over the course of your program.
What You’ll Gain
- The ability to document real-life events, situations, and people and tell their stories
- The ability to tell your own personal stories in a way that is engaging to readers
- The fundamentals of comics and sequential narrative visual art
- Knowledge of the “third art” that emerges from the combination of words and pictures
- The ability to produce your own finished illustrated stories, regardless of your prior drawing skill or experience
- Confidence and proficiency in your original style and authorial voice
How You’ll Learn
- Engaging video lectures and interviews with industry experts
- Direct interaction with faculty practitioners at the top of their fields
- Online collaboration and video conferencing
- Project-based learning focused on developing real-world skills and portfolio assets
Who Should Enroll
- Anyone intrigued by the potential of comics journalism or graphic memoir
- Journalists working in multimedia storytelling
- Visual artists who want to add writing to their skillset
- Writers who want to add drawing to their skillset
- Business and technical communications professionals
- Filmmakers working between scriptwriting and storyboarding
- Anyone interested in expressing themselves through a combination of words and pictures
What You’ll Earn
After completing the certificate requirements, you will be able to download and print a copy of your certificate and share it with your network. Your personal certificate will be accessible from your Student Portal.