About This Certificate
Do you need to build your English language proficiency in order to work as a professional chef or study local and global food issues? The ESL + Food Certificate provides high-quality English language instruction for students who want to attend culinary school, obtain a degree in food studies at The New School, or choose another career path in the food industry.
ESL + Food is one of four flexible pre-enrollment programs for international and multilingual students who need to improve their English language skills in order to be admitted to an academic degree program in the United States.
Total Courses: 4
Price: Tuition for English language courses is charged per course and varies by semester.
What You’ll Gain
- Skills in English language speaking, reading, and writing
- Food-related vocabulary and reading activities
- The opportunity to explore New York City's culinary scene
How You’ll Learn
- A mixture of synchronous and asynchronous online classes each week
- Carefully designed assignments with exciting materials to watch, read, and write about
- Individualized feedback on your speaking, listening, reading, writing, and grammar
- One-on-one or small-group video conferences
- Communication with your teachers throughout the course when you need help or have a question
Who Should Enroll
- International and multilingual students who wish to pursue professional and/or academic training in culinary arts and food studies but need to improve their English language skills